Real Estate Law
The real estate law practice at Meyer Suozzi offers a full range of services including acquisition, development, financing, management and sale of real estate. Our work includes major acquisitions and sales. Our experience with regulatory processes, both in government and in private practice, is fundamental to services we provide.
In the evolving fields of commercial real estate and financing, our attorneys handle multifaceted transactions ranging from basic to complex real estate, corporate and public finance, environmental law, litigation and eminent domain. Our long-standing relationships with government and the real estate community in New York and nationally enable us to proceed efficiently on behalf of our clients.
In addition to its transactional work, Meyer Suozzi also offers distinguished and effective real estate litigation representation with dedication and commitment to its clients. Our real estate litigators are experienced, tried and tested, and have distinguished credentials in a broad array of real estate issues, rights and remedies. The firm is also recognized for its range of clients, from individuals and closely held entities to international companies. We are well versed in litigating breach of real estate contracts and leases, broker-commission claims, injunctions, real estate secured financing, fraud, title insurance defense work, commercial foreclosures and commercial landlord-tenant matters.
Our extensive experience in both litigation and transactional real estate has contributed to our reputation for dealing with and solving controversial and litigated problems as well as complicated and contentious transactional matters.
- Asset-based and Real Estate Secured Lending
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Complex Real Estate Financing & Lease Litigation Financing
- Loan Structuring, Closure and Workouts
- Real Estate Partnerships
- Sales and Acquisitions
- Secured and Unsecured Lending
Clients include owners, sellers, buyers, lenders and borrowers, and we regularly represent banks, corporations, developers, financial institutions, professionals, contractors, landlords and tenants on issues relating to all types of commercial real estate including, retail, hospitality, industrial, multi-family residential and resort properties. We are also committed to accommodating clients on residential transactions.
Recent Real Estate Transactions and Litigation include:
- Represented buyer on the closing of title to the Jericho Turnpike, Woodbury Bentley-Lamborghini-Rolls Royce property including legal work on acquiring the discounted loan held by Bank of America; initiating the foreclosure; shepherding the matter through bankruptcy; completing the deed-in-lieu portion of the matter and the new lease with the new franchisee. The entire matter was completed within 13 months.
- After virtually ten years in litigation being represented by another law firm, we were retained to represent the original buyers, in an action for specific performance to acquire a multi-family multi-million dollar property on Parsons Blvd. in Jamaica, N.Y. Within 6 months of bringing the litigation and filing the lis pendens we were able to close title under the terms of the original ten-year old contract.
- Having been retained by one of the country’s largest title insurance companies, we successfully defended through appeal the enforceability and validity of $4 million in secured mortgage loans in the face of defenses of lack of authority and fraud. The mortgagees successfully acquired title to the property through foreclosure.
- Successfully defended an owner of approximately 70 acres of property in Suffolk County, through litigation and appeal, against a national real estate developer, for their breach of contract resulting in the client retaining as liquidated damages a $1 million contract deposit. Some years later, we represented the owners in the multi-million dollar sale of the property to Suffolk County.
- Successfully represented the owner of the former Tammany Hall building against a national theatre and movie chain involving the enforceability of a break-up free and rights of first refusal to acquire the property.
990 Stewart Avenue, Suite 300,
Garden City, NY 11530
1350 Broadway, Suite 1420, New York, NY 10018Phone(212) 239-4999Fax:(212) 239-1311
750 Ninth Street, Suite 501
Washington, D.C. 20001Phone(202) 887-6726Fax:(202) 223-0358