Media Source: The Daily Record of Rochester
New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) President A. Thomas Levin, and partner at Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein (a Mineola-based Law firm), has formed a committee to review the functioning of the jury system in civil and criminal proceedings in New York.
The 15-member committee will build on the Association's work on legislation and procedures relating to the jury process in civil and criminal proceedings. The group will concentrate its efforts on existing provisions in the law, pending legislation and proposed court procedures.
In particular, the committee will focus closely on the issues currently being examined by the Commission on the Jury appointed by Chief Judge Judith S. Kaye. The commission is examining the use of jurors' time, opportunity for service, challenges and excuses, and other issues.
Peter D. FitzGerald of Glens Falls (FitzGerald Morris Baker Firth) chairs the committee. Other members are:
- Jonathan Bruce Behrins of Staten Island (Behrins & Behrins);
- Charles F. Crimi, Jr. of Rochester (Crimi & Crimi);
- Vincent E. Doyle, III of Buffalo (Connors & Vilardo);
- Darren J. Epstein of New York (Fellows Hymowitz & Epstein);
- Norman Goodman of New York (New York County and Supreme Court Clerk);
- Jack S. Hoffinger of New York (Hoffinger Stern & Ross, LLP);
- Seymour W. James, Jr. of Kew Gardens (The Legal Aid Society);
- Jessica Kavoulakis of Brooklyn;
- Susan B. Lindenauer of New York (The Legal Aid Society);
- Margaret Comard Lynch of Albany (Ainsworth Sullivan Tracy Knauf Warner & Ruslander, PC);
- Judge Robert C. Noonan of Batavia (Genesee County Court Judge and Surrogate);
- John M. Ryan of Kew Gardens (Queens County assistant district attorney);
- Ronald R. Schneider of New York (Kirkland & Ellis); and
- Howard D. Stave of Manhasset Hills.