Michael J. Antongiovanni
Garden City, NY
Fax: (516) 741-6706
Tulane Law School, J.D., 2003 State University of New York Binghamton, B.A., 2000 Cum Laude
Nassau County Bar Association, Commercial Litigation Committee
New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section
Long Island Association, Young Professionals Committee
Plainview-Old Bethpage Chamber of Commerce
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Michael J. Antongiovanni is a Shareholder of Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C., practicing in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution group. Mr. Antongiovanni counsels and represents a broad array of clients, ranging from individuals and professionals to startups, small businesses and large, international companies.
Mr. Antongiovanni successfully advises and represents clients on a wide variety of commercial and civil disputes, including matters involving business disputes, real estate claims, breaches of contract, fraud, fiduciary breaches, shareholder and partnership disputes, misappropriation of confidential information and property, shareholder derivative suits, valuation proceedings, employment matters, unfair competition, adverse possession and easement issues, construction law, business torts and other civil claims.
Mr. Antongiovanni is the Shareholder in charge of all Real Estate Litigation at the firm and serves as general counsel to the Board of Managers of a mixed-use condominium, located on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.
Mr. Antongiovanni also represents clients in Trust and Estate proceedings before the New York State Surrogate’s Court, including probate and accounting proceedings, kinship proceedings and proceedings concerning the validity of trusts and other estate planning instruments.
Using his vast litigation experience, Mr. Antongiovanni focuses closely on his clients’ objectives and devises legal strategies designed to achieve those objectives effectively and efficiently, either by way of early resolution or at trial. He is a proven litigator with considerable experience in all phases of litigation, trial and appeal.
Mr. Antongiovanni is also a judicial Referee and Receiver, who has been appointed by the New York State Supreme Court’s Commercial Division to preside over certain commercial matters and valuation proceedings.
From 2013-2021, Mr. Antongiovanni was named to the New York Super Lawyers list, which recognizes no more than 5 percent of outstanding lawyers in each state from more than 70 practice areas, who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. In 2023, Mr. Antongiovanni received the Director's Award from the Nassau County Bar Association for his outstanding service as Chair of the Financial Oversight Committee.
Mr. Antongiovanni's Appointments Include
- Member of the New York State Bar Association's House of Delegates
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Nassau County Bar Association
- Chair of the Nassau County Bar Association’s Financial Oversight Committee
- Member of New York State Bar Association’s Committee on the Civil Practice Law and Rules
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Plainview-Old Bethpage Chamber of Commerce
Notable experience includes:
- Successfully defended and resolved $26 million claim against corporate client stemming from an acquisition of a business and alleged breach of an asset purchase agreement
- Successfully litigated (including on appeal) and resolved $15 million fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims on behalf of client-shareholder against fellow shareholders in connection with a sale of a pharmaceutical company.
- Successfully represented client in obtaining judgment declaring her sale of stock in a limited liability company was valid and dismissing plaintiff’s claim seeking to rescind the sale and for millions of dollars in damages based on an alleged right of first refusal to real estate owned by the limited liability company
- Successfully represented a pair of private lenders through litigation and appeal in establishing the validity of $4 million in mortgage loans to a limited liability company in the face of claims and defenses of alleged lack of authority and fraud
- In a jury trial in the United Stated Court for the Eastern District of New York, served on trial team that successfully obtained a verdict rejecting a claim for nearly $14 million in alleged lost profits in an international breach of contract case
- Successfully litigated fraudulent conveyance action on behalf of client resulting in the rescission of several multi-million-dollar transactions
- Successfully represented client at trial in obtaining judgment declaring the validity of a contested lease and easement agreement
- Served as co-counsel to a major hotel and resort organization and obtained summary judgment on its behalf over a multi-million dollar claim for breach of a licensing and management agreement involving a Caribbean resort
- Successfully defended client in claims alleging breach of fiduciary duties and misappropriation of proprietary information and property of a beverage company
- In a Surrogate’s Court Kinship proceeding, successfully represented clients in establishing their claim as the rightful heirs to a sizable estate of a decedent who died without a will
- Successfully represented client in her claim to establish title to real estate that her neighbor wrongfully encroached upon and attempted to acquire by adverse possession
- Obtained favorable resolution for a limited liability company involving multi-state litigations against former officer who usurped several millions of dollars in corporate business opportunities and assets
- Obtained favorable resolution for corporate shareholder-client in claims against his fellow shareholder for diverting and converting over $1 million in shareholder equity and company revenue
- Successfully defended a corporate client, through litigation and appeal, against a national real estate developer’s breach of real estate sales contract claim and assisted client in retaining $1 million contract deposit as liquidated damages
- Obtained favorable resolution for two companies in a multi-state litigation against a minority owner and employee, who was secretly competing against the companies in violation of his fiduciary duties and non-competition agreement
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for client declaring that an enforceable equitable mortgage existed notwithstanding that only two of the four owners of a commercial property execute the note and mortgage
- Obtained favorable resolution of claims by employer-client against former employees and competitor concerning employees’ breach of their employment agreements, including covenants not to compete, and unfair competition
- Successfully obtained dismissal of claims against lawyer-client for an alleged violation of 42 U.S.C. § 1983, malicious prosecution and abuse of process
- Obtained favorable resolution for roofing contractor facing claims pertaining to work performed on major roofing project
- Obtained favorable resolution of claims by certain shareholders of a company against accountant-client for alleged fraud and negligence in preparing yearly reviews of the companies’ financials
- Obtained favorable resolution for insurer-client of substantial multi-million-dollar insurance coverage litigation brought by a telecommunications company
- Successfully represented client in obtaining an expedited judgment evicting a commercial lessee and awarding the client all past rent and use and occupancy charges due it in time for client to close a deal with a new lessee for the commercial building