Employment Law, Litigation Lawyers - Garden City, Long Island, NY
Lois Carter Schlissel
Lois Carter Schlissel serves as Managing Attorney of Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C. located in Garden City, Long Island, N.Y. and chairs the firm’s Management Committee. Under her direction, the firm has experienced significant strategic growth.
In addition to her management role, Mrs. Schlissel heads the firm’s Employment Law practice and is an active member of the Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution department. She counsels clients with respect to federal and state employment laws, compliance issues, and personnel matters and litigates significant commercial cases as well as claims arising under Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans With Disabilities Act, and the Family Medical Leave Act.
Mrs. Schlissel is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest level of professional excellence. She was honored for her “extraordinary service to the community and superb lawyering” by the Nassau County Bar Association, We Care Fund in 2012. She was also recognized by Long Island Pulse Magazine in 2010 and 2011 as one of the region’s “Top Legal Eagles”. In 2007 she was recognized as one of the Best Attorneys on Long Island by the Long Island Press. From 2002-2004, Mrs. Schlissel was named by Long Island Business News (LIBN) as one of Long Island’s Top 50 Most Influential Women. Subsequently in 2004, Mrs. Schlissel was admitted into the LIBN Top 50 Hall of Fame. The Long Island Center for Business & Professional Women conferred its Achievers’ Award in the Field of Law on Mrs. Schlissel in May 2003. In 2002, Mrs. Schlissel was named a “Woman Achiever Against the Odds” by the Long Island Fund for Women and Girls.
Notable experience includes:
- Tried and won several jury trials in commercial and employment cases in state and federal courts.
- Conducted internal investigations in various industries including insurance, professional services and non-profits, concerning allegations of bribery, administrative misconduct, discrimination and sexual improprieties and worked with upper management to deal with attendant legal and personnel issues.
- Successfully litigated charges of gender discrimination and retaliation between a large university and a high level administrator.
- Mediated and favorably resolved breach of contract claims between a major financial institution and a former senior executive.
- Negotiated separation issues between employees and companies engaged in various industries including aviation, financial services, law, healthcare and education.
- Successfully arbitrated commercial breach of contract claims between owners of a technology company and its business partner.
- Resolved through mediation a sexual harassment, gender discrimination and retaliation case in which a young woman employee of a major financial institution alleged that she was raped by her manager after a social event sponsored by the company.
- Regularly consults with clients concerning employment issues, statutory and regulatory requirements andworkplace policies.
Mrs. Schlissel has written and lectured extensively before bar associations, employment groups and professional organizations. She has given numerous media interviews and provided commentary relating to Federal civil practice, employment law issues, workplace discrimination and sexual harassment.
Prior to joining Meyer Suozzi, Mrs. Schlissel was a law clerk at the New York State Court of Appeals and, thereafter, a litigation associate in the New York City office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP.
University of Buffalo, J.D., 1975
State University of New York at Oswego, B.A., 1972
magna cum laude
U.S. Senator Charles Schumer’s Judicial
Long Island Association Board of Directors
North Shore-LIJ Health System
Board of Trustees
Adelphi University Board of Trustees
Touro Law Center Board of Governors
Theodore Roosevelt American Inn of Courts Master & Former President
Women's Fund of Long Island Counsel to Board of Directors
New York State Bar Foundation Fellow
Nassau County Bar Association
Nassau County Women's Bar Association
New York State
U.S. District Court, Southern District
U.S. District Court, Eastern District
U.S. District Court, Northern District
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Click here for news about Lois Carter Schlissel
Click here for events associated with Lois Carter Schlissel
Click here for publications associated with Lois Carter Schlissel